Monday, April 18, 2011

Favorite Place: Farmers Choice in Santa Monica


I was shocked. Amazed. Flabbergasted.

Mouth wide open, I stood staring at the plastic container of the price of a large container of baby arugula. It was $1.99. Two days prior, I had seen a Ready Fresh pack at my local Albertson's for $3.99. The package might have said fresh, but the baby arugula was very clearly past it's prime.

But this! The beautiful green leaves packed to the four corners of the large plastic container were luscious and full. Much more product than the Ready Made and much cheaper! How could this been?


Dumbfounded, I looked on. Italian parsley for .49. Huge stalks of fennel (which is anise, never understood the name variation) for $1.49. The biggest fist full of basil stalks I had ever seen for sale, bigger than any packaged variety sold in traditional stores (even the Mega Whole Foods in Encino) was for $1.29.

I didn't believe what I was seeing. There had to be a catch. I mean, at least I would get hit with the newly hiked up 10% Santa Monica sales tax, right? No. Groceries aren't taxed. The price I viewed was the price I would pay.

The great thing about Farmers Choice is their fresh selection and variation. From sushi rolls created in moments, dried fruit sold by the bulk, fresh juice made while you wait and more, this place was exactly what I was looking for without going to pretentious farmers markets in the area.

As an added bonus, anything that you can't find here, you can walk over the Trader Joe's next door for purchase. They take cash and all sorts of cards. And  yes, they do make a profit. I asked when I realized how much in shock I was regarding my final price and the quality of the food.



Farmers Choice

3250 Pico Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90405
310-450-0707

http://www.myfarmerschoice.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment